Thursday, March 1, 2012

{Day 1 - breakfast}


I assure you, I won't be posting every single day...but I have the time today so I thought I'd give it a go. And rather than having a really long post about both/all my meals...I will be splitting them up into seperate blogs. 

{Breakfast}
When I bought my first bag of quinoa {I'll discuss this in more detail later}, I went ahead and cooked up enough of it as 'porridge' to last a while...so that was my breakfast today. I'm rather loving it...not going to lie.  I added a banana to it this morning to get some fresh fruit in my diet and it tasted well with the other berries! 

{Quinoa Porridge Recipe}
{Ingredients}
  • 1 cup of uncooked/rinsed quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup of Almond milk {optional - but I think it helps with flavor}
  • Organic Maple syrup {I don't use a specific amount - just pour and taste test. :)}
  • Vanilla extract {Again, I don't use a specific amount}
  • Cinnamon
  • You choice of dried berries/fresh fruit {optional}

{Preparation}
 Bring quinoa, water, and almond milk to a boil. Once it has come to a boil, add the desired cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Cover and let simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Then add any berries/fruits.

SUPER easy and super delicious!  I have also prepared a batch in which I've added brown sugar while it's simmering...for some added sweetness. Some think that quinoa (I've read comments online...I'm not an expert haha) have a bitter taste. I don't think it does, but if you do, I would suggest adding the brown sugar. I also think the almond milk helps minimize that bitter taste. 

The beauty of quinoa is its versatility! This recipe comes out like oatmeal/porridge - so you can add whatever flavors your little heart desires. :) I used dried blueberries and cranberries in mine {the batch I was going to freeze} and then once I'm ready to eat it, I add whatever fresh fruits I have around the house {such as apples/bananas}.

I read that this recipe really needs to be eaten within 2-3 days but it works well frozen, so I saved out enough for 2-3 days and have the rest sitting in the freezer for later in the week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting